Monday 26 December 2016

Memories Of Holidays In Malta – Part One

 

Valleta Harbour

I went to Malta for the first time for 2 weeks in the summer of 1990. After that I had holidays in Malta for 2 weeks every summer and 2 weeks twice at Christmas and the New Year until my last holiday there in 1996 – 8 times in all. It is the type of place that is said you either love or hate – obviously I loved it.

Although it is a while since I have been to Malta, a friend who has just come back from a holiday there has assured me that little has changed. Also my type of holiday is not the normal touristy thing. I do not go on many guided tours or have much interest in old ruins. Saying that I picked up a fairly extensive knowledge of the brave history of Malta.

What I love about there most are the people. I have never known such friendliness and helpfulness even though I live in friendly Yorkshire. Cynics say that it is because you are spending money. I do not think so, even though a lot of the Maltese people are on low wages and work in two jobs to survive I found that many of them happily buy you drinks, take you for meals, spend money on petrol to drive you around the island without asking for anything back but friendship. We always left with invites to stay in homes the next time but we preferred to be independent and use hotels.

Read more ....Memories Of Holidays In Malta – Part One – Where To Go

No comments: